Don Morris (1930-2010), when Planner at the University of Newcastle (1975-88), was able to preserve the character of the university's bushland campus through careful planning which maximised retention of the existing native vegetation.
Don Morris began lecturing in 1961 at the Newcastle University College. When the new Faculty of Architecture of the UON opened in 1965, he was elected Sub Dean. Later, he gained a position as Staff Architect in the Planners Division of UON, where he was involved in the landscape design of the Callaghan campus.
In 1975 Don was appointed as University Planner. He retired in 1988 to pursue his passions of watercolour painting and gardening. In 1992 Don was made a Doctor of the University, Honoris Causa, and the Don Morris Walk was opened in his honour.
The Don Morris Walk at the university commemorates Don's contribution to the campus grounds and provides an opportunity for environmental studies as well as affording a relaxing stroll through a section of truly Australian bushland and wetlands